Communications Specialist | Copywriter
Passionate and independently motivated communications specialist and copywriter, experienced in marketing, messaging, communications, and writing for the web. Built a strong history of strategic problem solving, audience identification and targeting, and message tailoring. Spearheaded many successful internal and external communication efforts. Developed optimized content that supported improved conversion rates to meet client benchmarks. Collaborative team player that thrives in both strategic and creative environments. Able to envision, develop, implement, and enhance communication programs to improve brand awareness, brand recall, and audience engagement.
Problem Solving ~ Audience Identification ~ Content Tailoring ~ Project Management
Attention to Detail ~ Newsletters ~ Emails ~ Quality Assurance ~ Audience Engagement
Deadline Compliance ~ Ability to Work Independently ~ Creative Writing ~ Social Media
|Director of Communications
The Gay Christian Network
Raleigh, NC/Rochester, NY
2014 - Present
Develop and oversee The Gay Christian Network’s (GCN) communication with current and potential supporters, volunteers, staff, clients, and community at large. Stimulate maximum productivity, engagement, growth, and financial giving through targeted messaging and community engagement.
- Generated all informative and promotional communications for the 2015 GCN Conference (all-time high attendance). Sought out and shared personal stories from attendees, developed unique content for the conference blog, increased anticipation across social media platforms, and created update emails with exceedingly high engagement rates. (Open rates include 83%, 73%, 50%.)
- Manage incoming communication, including emails, phone calls, written mail, and contact form submissions; ensure that each receives a timely, informative response.
- Spearhead supporter engagement; actively involve GCN’s clients, donors, and volunteers in two-way communication at all times. Keep GCN top-of-mind among community members by regularly informing all parties about activities and goals via newsletters, one-on-one communication, and social media.
- Lead external promotional endeavors; engage people and organizations outside GCN’s immediate spheres of influence, including targeting media with tailored and relevant press releases.
- Strategize and generate written content for LiveLoveOut.com. Simplify complex ideas to engage readers in the social movement, including donating to the cause.
- Supervise the development of GCN’s annual reports, designed to increase faith in the brand and donations. Collaborate with remote designer to ensure the visual appeal of the document. Selected and worked with volunteers to gather personal stories to include in the report. Developed specialized feature content to cultivate excitement in GCN achievements and future endeavors.
- Mine content and share relevant messaging over social media to engage the GCN community and position GCN as a thought leader in the industry.
|Associate Writer and Editor
Grammar Chic, Inc.
2013 - 2014
Generated unique and engaging content based on in-depth research, audience identification, and strategic communication to enhance web presence for a highly diverse client base.
- Wrote content for a variety of digital outlets, including client websites, news websites, newsletters, blogs, and social profiles.
- Developed strategic, SEO-friendly copy for Fortune 500 and high-achieving professional clients.
- Conducted in-depth research on a broad spectrum of industries to support unique, innovative, and relevant content creation.
- Adhered to strict guidelines and met tight deadlines for timely project turnaround and submission. Managed time and scheduling in a highly independent, remote work environment.
- Crafted strategically developed resumes and cover letters for job-seeking clients. Exhibited strong communication skills in leading in-depth interviews to determine client’s ultimate employment goals. Tailored resume and cover letter content to enhance the likelihood of securing employment.
2011 - 2013
Developed copy that supported clients in reaching their revenue goals. Assisted in project management by taking on additional duties. Created and implemented successful internal and external communication efforts. Clients included: AARP, Wall Street Journal, Time Warner Cable, Golf Digest, FrontPoint Security, Click Summit, and Merry Maids.
- Created and optimized copy (body, subject lines, headlines, call to action) for newsletters, emails, landing pages, and websites.
- Generated written content and maintained an ongoing series for the company blog. Determined highly engaging topics to improve audience engagement levels.
- Edited all blog content to ensure quality and readability, thus improving brand image and positioning brands as thought leaders in their industry.
- Held project management duties, such as URL tracking code generation, and quality assurance.
- Wrote social media content, engaged with users, and created and managed schedules for Facebook and Twitter.
- Developed and disseminated messaging to encourage employee engagement with social media efforts.
- Made data-based decisions on content for weekly, monthly and twice-monthly email newsletters to determine the most engaging topics. Resulted in increase conversions for clients.
|Copywriter, Editor, Account Executive
Managed and co-directed print ad media schedules for national clients, ensuring placement in publications. Clients included: Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc., Bond Financial Network, and Workplace Vitality.
- Crafted original copy for various marketing communication tools such as email blasts and brochures. Effectively communicated seasonal, promotional, or time-sensitive messages to diverse audiences.
- Proofread, checked and corrected assorted pieces from the agency for quality assurance.
- Gathered data for agency clients through strategic, in-depth research.
- Searched for and organized media mentions of clients, while tracking that client’s competitors’ advertising methods. Created a simple method for comparing strategy to determine industry trends.
|Creative/Traffic Coordination Intern
Partners + Napier
Created and executed a campaign for the internship and various agency projects while managing a group of fellow interns.
- Developed taglines, headlines, and creative briefs for highly diverse campaigns.
- Managed time and workload of all interns to ensure smooth and timely project flow and progression.
- Communicated with and observed fellow interns to determine their individual strengths and weaknesses. Delegated work based on findings. Tracked progress of all open internship jobs and kept tasks moving on schedule.
Bachelor of Science in Advertising and Public Relations
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
Affiliations and Professional Achievements
“Ringxiety and Social Anxiety: Subconscious Dedication to our Mobile Phones”
Member of Phi Theta Kappa
Member of Lambda Pi Eta
Graduated with Highest Honors